20/04/2007

Otoliths


I was translating a list of fish that can be caught in Gabon and had to look up “otolithe”. I had never seen the word before, in French or English.

Otolithe

Pseudotolithus senegalensis
Cassava croaker

As well as a fish, I found another meaning:

An otolith, (oto-, ear + lithos, a stone) or otoconium is a structure in the saccule or utricle of the inner ear.

Browsing the web, I came across the word again, in a fascinating article.

This phenomenon is common enough, sometimes called synchronicity, when you encounter a word for the first time then come across it again immediately afterwards. It sort of pops into existence. The second time you meet it, it feels as if another reality has winked at you. The reality of hidden connections.

It conjurs up lithops and monoliths, palaeontology and palimpsest, which reminds me that the word that set me off on this blog leaves me free to delete everything and start all over again.

Fish are fascinating. I never think of them hearing. Watching salmon attempting to jump up waterfalls is the best lesson in determination I can imagine.

2 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

I agree about the delight of hidden connections and love your description of the universe winking at you.

Here's another connection to fish, Africa and a more sinister world: www.darwinsnightmare.com/darwin/html/startset.htm
don't know if you can open links in the comments section, but this is a link to a documentary called Darwin's Nightmare.
Sara

Vita Brevis said...

I had heard about that film - it was shown in Samatan, and Intermarché sells the "Nile Perch". It is shocking.

"It is, for example, incredible that wherever prime raw material is discovered, the locals die in misery"

you can say that again.