08/07/2007

Errata

Maybe patchwork or cave drawing would be a more accurate ‘description’ of this blog than palimpsest. I have not actually rubbed anything out yet.

I found an online translation of Ovid’s Metamorphoses and discovered I had remembered “A moment’s inattention” wrong. The beast was indeed unleashed as a consequence of Oedipus solving the riddle of the Sphynx, but Oedipus did not have a secret affair with Diana – Laelaps, the hound, was a gift to Procris, who gave it to her husband Cephalus, along with a magic hunting spear.


Talking about holes:


1) I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
I fall in.
I am lost … I am hopeless.
It isn’t my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

2) I walk down the same street.
There is a hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don’t see it.
I fall in again.
I can’t believe I am in the same place.
But it isn’t my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

3) I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it there.
I still fall in … it’s a habit
My eyes are open
I know where I am
It is my fault.
I get out immediately

4) I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
I walk around it.

5) I walk down another street.


- Excerpt from The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche










0 commentaires: