28/10/2007

Denizens I

The local library (“médiathèque”) invited two craftsmen publishers to show their wares and speak about their craft. Gérard Truilhé (éditions les Trames) and Aurelio Diaz-Ronda for Le grand os. Their websites give a tiny idea of what they are doing, but it is so much more exciting in reality. I was mesmerised by their entire production and, indeed, existence. I asked if I could touch the books and Aurelio was insistent that books had to be touched, otherwise what was the point in making them – he is keen on the desacralisation of the book object. I try, I try, but I have to admit my shortcomings. I’m not afraid to touch them. But I don’t see how I could not hold them in awe.

Mr Truilhé earns his living as a guitar teacher, and so is free to produce or not produce whatever books he wants. He insisted on the musicality of the hands-on experience of paper and ink. He explains that each book is the result of a meeting with the author of the text and/or the artist who illustrates. He writes himself. He said he was not happy with the appellation “éditeur” – (publisher) and considered himself rather a “faiseur de livres”. I smiled at the thought of “book maker”, ridiculously far removed from what he does, and flicked it back to French as “teneur de paris” - which seemed to click. Each individual book they make is a wager against oblivion.

Gérard also said he was working against the execution of books, when books are placed on bookshop shelves for a very short space of time and if not sold then sent to be pulped… His books, whether read or not, whether bought or not, will never be pulped.

I visited the main Médiathèque in Toulouse. The building is an imposing arch, and I was almost too intimidated to go in. But I had heard there was a panoramic view to be had from the third floor. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. All along the glass wall of the townward side of the third floor are CD players and headphones and comfortable chairs. It was too cloudy to see very far but it was nice to be perched above the traffic and the trains. The headphones seemed to be good quality but I couldn’t find a volume switch. All or nothing music – you either hear it or you don’t. The person behind me must have found a switch because his music seemed very loud. I didn’t choose music to listen to, decided to take what was offered by the people who had occupied my seat before me. The first CD was Arabic and felt foreign. Then I picked up Bach and thought “now what language is Bach in?”.

In the evening I went to the Mandala to listen to music improvised on two drumkits, a computer, a saw and a saxophone, and a crystal organ.


Denizen

1. An inhabitant; a resident: denizens of Monte Carlo.
2. One that frequents a particular place: a bar and its denizens.
3. Ecology An animal or a plant naturalized in a region.
4. Chiefly British A foreigner who is granted rights of residence and sometimes of citizenship.
tr.v. den·i·zened, den·i·zen·ing, den·i·zens Chiefly British
To make a denizen of; grant rights of residence to.

0 commentaires: