06/12/2007

And its one, two three, what are we writing for?


Today’s headlines - "Another Eight killed and five wounded in US mall massacre" – "The woman described the killer's behaviour as bizarre, including his shooting the stuffing out of a teddy bear". – I wonder if it was the bear called Mohammed.

Connections. Last night I read a magical passage in a book by Nancy Huston, Le Journal de Création, which Françoise lent me. It was about being in the middle of writing a novel and on a kind of semantic plateau where everything makes sense, where every detail is highly significant. I immediately felt pangs of nostalgia for that feeling. I don’t have much time to write at the moment. Fascinated by the prose of an Anglophone woman who writes in French, I started to look for information and found an article about one of her books:

“focusing on language, especially bilingualism (broadly understood as the capacity to communicate in two languages) as a site where trauma is expressed and mediated.”

In a recent personal crisis I felt supported by my mother’s words which came to me in French. Apart from a few songs she learnt from the Free French soldiers stationed in her village during the war and the ability to order a café au lait and a croissant on her frequent trips to visit me in France, she does not actually speak French. Why, then, were the words that provided me with comfort in a foreign language?

“Ta force c’est dans ta capacité de travail”.

I remember the day she said this to me, in English of course. I do not remember the exact words. I mentioned this to my analyst and mentally pinned it on the wall inside my cave to take a closer look at sometime. It seems to me that it is a sign of something not being straightforward in my use of language or affect or emotion… my immediate impression was of a crossed wire or a snag in a circuit.

Also, when she said it, I was hurt. I did not want to be told I was a good pack horse, I wanted to be praised for my wit, intelligence, beauty or something else exceptionally meritorious. The same thing happened near the beginning of analysis when BM congratulated me on being a good translator and I felt crestfallen. What possible good could it be to anyone to be good at their job? I thought at the time. Feels like a million years ago…

Semantic-Pragmatic Disorder (SPD) is a developmental disorder that many experts believe is closely related to autism and Asperger's Syndrome. The name refers to the fact that people with SPD have special challenges with the semantic aspect of language (the meaning of what is being said) and the pragmatics of language (using language appropriately in social situations).

2 commentaires:

Patricia said...

Have you ever noticed whether your body language changes according to the language you speak?

I have found that the language in which the words come into my head tends to vary. I'll be muttering swearwords in English one day because I'll have been watching lots of American TV series the week before (this sounds very complicated - I hope I got the grammar right *g*), and a month later, in a similar situation, the words will come in French or in German because that will be the predominant language at that time.
So I don't attach much importance to the language I think things in. It's like dreaming. I tend to dream in the language that surrounds me.
(And I think the fact that you can "abstract" the meaning from the actual words is a good thing. Nothing to worry about. IMHO it also makes you a better translator.)

But it was pointed out to me 15 years ago that my body language was totally different with each language. The person who said that in 1992 came to visit last month, after not having seen me for years, and the subject came up again. Again, she saw me in a tri-lingual environment, switching from one language to the other, and she said it hadn't changed. Having a conversation in German, I apparently sit up straighter, speak in a clearer, louder voice. Talking in French, my arms and my hands move much more, my voice is higher, I talk faster, my body is more "tense". And in English I tend to slouch on my seat and take my time...
I don't see myself, so I have no idea if this is true or if it's just her impression. But it sure is interesting!

What about you? Any idea?

Vita Brevis said...

Very interesting! I can't wait to see you to try to spot the changes... I love watching people speak French because it seems to be spoken further forward in the mouth and looks different... and a Swedish Algerian friend just said she definitely gesticulates more when speaking French. Oh là là !