02/10/2011

Green feline

"Shagreen is a type of leather or rawhide consisting of rough untanned skin, formerly made from a horse's back or that of an onager (wild ass), and typically dyed green. Shagreen is now commonly made of the skins of sharks and rays.
The word derives from the French chagrin and is related to Italian zigrino and Venetian sagrin, derived from the Turkish sāğrī/çāğrī 'rump of a horse' or the prepared skin of this part. The roughness of its texture led to the French meaning of anxiety, vexation, embarrassment, or annoyance."

I came across the word "galuchat" in a job I was doing and read the Wikipedia entry for it. Very interesting. I clicked on "English" and found the amusing word – shagreen – and when I clicked on French to go back I ended up with "chagrin". So the language links in wikepedia are not reciprocal, and words meanings are labyrinthine anyway. The last time I posted I suppose I was so frustrated at not taking the time to post I just loaded my notes "en vrac" – not a word about shagreen other than the word and the echo in "peau de chagrin".

I didn't even explain why I gave the title "evening in" – in opposition to the "evening out" that surprised me because it evoked restaurants and not the sense of "to even out".  Just a slight difference in pronunciation. I love significant nuances.

1 commentaires:

dritanje said...

Hallo Vita Brevis, I enjoy your wordplay so much, peau de chagrin takes on a completely new meaning for me now, it has a sheen to it despite being rough, apparently, a greenish sheen -
I really like your new year post - "Once boarded a train, but that was in another lifetime, and besides, the swain is married now." made me laugh. Also, today I decided to NOTICE signs, - and finding your blog was one of them. So thankyou. don't mean to sound mysterious but it would take too long to explain. I found you via George Szirtes blog.
Morelle