08/02/2007

Palimpsest

Yesterday, I learnt a very nice word. Palimpsest.

"A palimpsest is a manuscript page, scroll or book that has been written on, scraped off, and used again." (Wikipedia)

Pâle, inceste... Palimpe; zest. Pal, imps, Est.

Serendipity.

Hungry. It is 8:48 and I haven’t had breakfast. I haven’t had anything to eat, but I did have a cup of tea, with milk. My stomach is rumbling. I’m busy working, translating some advertising materials related to wines and spirits. The other day, I wrote “hungry, lonely and afraid” on the whiteboard stuck to my cupboard door. It seemed like a good position to start writing from. I felt I could learn a lot by starting from that phrase. And here I am, hungry. All this type of hunger means is ‘when shall I make my toast’? Right now, or in half an hour? It is not a life-threatening hunger. It is not development-arresting hunger. It is not even a hunger that prevents me from thinking. The society I live in is plagued by the ills of over-eating, and my overweight body can gaze through the window of the press at places where millions of people are starving, lack clean drinking water and sanitation, or live under a constant threat of violence.

2 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

Linda-
I love your blog and think that it is a great medium for you as you can express your personality through it in so many ways. I love your writing and am in awe of the fearless courage you display when convey your feelings and emotions.

It also makes me realise how much I miss conversations with you!

Sara

Vita Brevis said...

Thanks, Sara, I hope we can have some interesting conversations here. Feel free to comment on anything and I'll try to work out how to make the comments visible!

linda